Blog Archive

Friday, May 05, 2006

Haring Debate Continues/Please Read Below

April 13, 2006

Mr. P. Michael Ehlerman

Dear Mike:
I have read with great concern the e-mail sent to you by Mr. Cinfici on April 11. With respect, I do not plan to comply with Mr. Cinfici's demands for further censorship of books and information at the Reading Public Museum in return for Senator Brightbill's presumed support for the Museum.

I think it is a fair question to ask by what authority has Mr. Cinfici been empowered to impose his personal views on that is appropriate to be sold in our Museum Shop, or displayed in our galleries? As far as I know, his views do not represent those of the Board of the Museum foundation, nor am I aware they represent the majority view of the Board of the Reading Public Schools.

In my opinion, this is censorship pure and simple, and threatens the intellectual freedom and scholorship that is at the core of our Museum's integrity.

I also wonder if Senator Brightbill is aware of this arrangement as Mr. Cinfici characterizes it, that one these "safeguards" are implemented "the entire issue will be resolved and the Majority Leader and everyone else will be happy", to quote his e-mail to you. I have great respect for Senator Brightbill, and find it hard to believe his support for the Museum is contingent on Mr. Cinfici's approval.

I am sure the Senator is aware of the hundreds of school children, teachers and parents in his district that have been inspired and delighted by our exhibition on Keith Haring, and the nearly 400 high school students in Berks County who collaborated on our Keith Haring subway mural and whose names are proudly listed in the galleries. He may also be interested in knowing that over 14,000 visitors have viewd the Keith Haring Exhibition since it's opening, none of whom to my knowledge have registered any objections to the exhibition catalogue in the gallery or the Haring books we have on sale.

I am sending a copy of this letter to the Museum Foundation's Board of Directors. I want the Board to be clear on my position: I will not comply with Mr. Cinfici's requests unless the Board of the Museum Foundation votes in favor of his requests, and that the Board provides me with a written directive to comply. In deference to your privacy, in my mailing to the rest of the Board, I will not include a copy of the e-mail of April 11 you gave me that you received from Mr. Cinfici which discusses this arrangement. I hope you will make a copy of it available to members of our Board, so that they know what we know and can come to their own conclusions on the situation.

Mike, I think you know how much I respect you and your efforts on the Museum's behalf. I hope you understand how seriously I believe this situation is and the threat it represents to the Museum's future freedom of expression.

With all best regards,


Ronald C. Roth
Director and CEO

No comments: